Frequently Asked Questions

Who do I call if an automatic door push button is broken?

Call Facilities Management (519-661-3304 or ext. 83304) or email to report the broken hardware.

I need to find an accessible route throughout the campus. Where can I find a map of all accessible routes? Who can help me find accessible routes to navigate campus?

Western University accessibility maps can be found on our Maps and Floor Plans webpage. You may also call Student Accessibility Services (SAS) at 519-661-2147 and speak to a staff member who can help you map out the necessary accessible routes.

How do I get an accessible parking pass?

Information about accessible parking on campus is available on the Parking Services website.

What is the duty to accommodate and how does it relate to disability?

Based on the Ontario Human Rights Code, employers, service providers and unions have an obligation to take steps to eliminate disadvantage, resulting from a rule, practice or physical barrier, to employees, prospective employees or clients (i.e. students) protected under the Code. As such, the duty to accommodate applies to accommodating the needs of persons with disabilities. At the base of this obligation is the recognition that ‘true equality means respect for people’s different needs’. The term accommodation means changing the rule or practice to incorporate alternative arrangements that eliminate discriminatory barriers. For more information on the duty to accommodate, please visit the Duty To Accomodate webpage or contact Equity & Human Rights Services at

Where do I find information about Western’s policy on academic accommodations?

The Western University Policy on Academic Accommodation for Students with Disabilities summarizes the process of requesting, granting, and making arrangements for academic accommodation and details the responsibilities of those involved in the process. For more information, please review Western’s Academic Accommodations for Students with Disabilities.

How do I request an academic accommodation?

Requests for academic accommodation should be made through Student Accessibility Services (SAS). For more information, please review How to Request Accommodation on the SAS website.

Are there limits to the ways in which I can be accommodated academically at Western?

Yes, students cannot be accommodated in ways that remove essential course and program requirements.

What kinds of accessibility features are available at Western Libraries?

Western Libraries provides seven service locations located in wheelchair accessible buildings. The Western Libraries website, your gateway to online collections supporting academic research, fully meets Level-AAA conformance to the accessibility guidelines set forth by the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C). These guidelines provide a means of promoting web accessibility and ensuring sites are fully accessible to users. Assistive technologies are available at select Western Libraries locations such as CCTV units and character enlarging software. Western Libraries staff members are available to help you with your research, inquire at any service desk for assistance. For more information about library services available to persons with disabilities please visit the Library Accessibility webpage.

Is it possible to access the library and its resources from an off campus location?

Yes, it is possible to access the library from off campus locations. This is done by connecting to the library by using the Library’s proxy server. For more information, visit the library access webpage.

Where can I learn about resources that may be available in certain classrooms on campus?

Information about resources in classrooms can be found on the Classroom Management Group website. For instance, students with hearing impairments can find out which classrooms on campus are equipped with microphones.

I am a student with a disability enrolled at an affiliated college. Who do I contact about my accessibility needs?

Students enrolled at Western’s affiliated colleges have access to the same services as students at Western’s main campus. Students from Brescia and Huron should contact Student Accessibility Services, while students registered at King’s University College can contact the King’s office of Counselling and Student Development or visit the King's Student Accessibility Services.

Who do I contact if I feel I have been subjected to discrimination or harassment because of my disability?

Equity & Human Rights Services (EHRS) administers the University’s policies on discrimination and harassment. EHRS offers confidential advice and can help you determine your best course of action. Often, individuals just want to have the opportunity to discuss the issue and get some feedback or information. Visit the Equity & Human Rights Services website for more information. To set up an appointment to speak with Equity and Human Rights Services send an email request to  or call 519-661-2111 ext. 83334.